Service Name: Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP)
Organization Name: Legal Services of Northern California
- Description: Trained and State registered volunteer counselors provide assistance with Medicare problems, help with Medicare-related health insurance or long-term care insurance issues, and help with Medicare Part D - Prescription Drug Program.
Provides free, unbiased information, by appointment only, to help clients that are new to Medicare, understand their Medicare rights as a healthcare consumer and assist them in making the best choices to cover their health needs.
Helps challenge denial of payment including filing Medicare grievances and appeals.
Does not sell, endorse, or recommend any specific insurance products. Does not provide a list of physicians accepting Medicare. Speakers are available to provide community education regarding myths and realities of Medicare coverage, changes to Medicare, and how to wisely select health or long-term care insurance.
Recruits, trains, and supervises volunteer Medicare counselors who counsel clients at 38 sites in nine counties.
- Website: https://www.hicapservices.net
- Phone(s): 800-434-0222
- Hours: Phone: Monday through Friday 9 am - 4 pm, leave a message after hours
- Eligibility: Medicare beneficiaries and anyone helping them. Medicare beneficiaries are 65 or older (individuals not yet 65 can call 4-5 months in advance for an appointment) or are under 65 and disabled (receiving disability benefits from Social Security (SSDI) for 24 months). Those with End Stage Renal Disease or ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) also qualify.
- Requirements: Varies - call for details.
- San Joaquin United States
- Sierra United States
- Sutter United States
- Yolo United States
- Sacramento United States
- El Dorado United States
- Yuba United States
- Nevada United States
- Placer United States