Service Name: CITY OF SACRAMENTO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT - TENANT PROTECTION PROGRAM
Organization Name: CITY OF SACRAMENTO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
- Description: The Tenant Protection Program assists residential tenants and landlords with questions about annual rent increase limits and protections for unjustified evictions, facilitating a fair rate of return or pre-eviction hearings, and administering and enforcing City code.THREE PRIMARY PROGRAM COMPONENTS Rental Property Registration and Program Fees Landlords must register rental units annually (subject to the code). Landlords must pay an annual Tenant Protection Program fee of $20 per unit. Registration information and program fee invoices are mailed directly to landlords. Click Here for more detailed information on the Tenant Protection Program Rental Property Registration process. Maximum Rate Increase Limit The maximum allowable rental rate increase cannot exceed 5 percent plus the change in the CPI. The maximum rental rate increase is updated annually. Effective July 1, 2023, the maximum rate increase is 9.2 percent. The rental rate cannot be increased more than once every 12 months and applies to all tenants regardless of how long they have resided in the unit. Landlord can petition City to have a hearing examiner review a rent increase above the maximum. Documentation is required to justify the request. Eviction Protections Landlord must offer to renew the rental housing agreement if the tenant has resided in the unit for more than 12 months plus one day. Evictions are prohibited without a "just cause" reason once the tenant has resided in a rental unit for more than 12 months. For more detailed information on the "just cause" reasons for eviction and how to request a pre-eviction hearing if it is believed that a landlord has violated the code, click here. Tenant Delay of Rent Payment - COVID-19Tenant Protection and Relief Act OrdinanceSee attachment for additional information.
- Website: http://www.cityofsacramento.org/Community-Development/Code-Compliance/Tenant-Protection-Program
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone(s): (916) 808-8121
- Hours: Phone: Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm
- Eligibility: Renters in the City of Sacramento ONLY. Does not include unincorporated Sacramento County.
- Requirements: Call for details.
- Sacramento Sacramento United States