Service Name: CITY OF SACRAMENTO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT - TENANT PROTECTION PROGRAM
Organization Name: CITY OF SACRAMENTO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
- Description: The Tenant Protection Program assists residential tenants and landlords with questions about annual rent increase limits and protections for unjustified evictions, facilitating a fair rate of return or pre-eviction hearings, and administering and enforcing City code.
THREE PRIMARY PROGRAM COMPONENTS
Rental Property Registration and Program Fees:
- Landlords must annually register rental units subject to code.
- Landlords must pay an annual Tenant Protection Program fee of $20 per unit.
- Registration information and program fee invoices are mailed directly to landlords.
- Rental rate increase cannot exceed 5% plus the change in the CPI.
- Maximum rental rate increase is updated annually on July 1 and the current maximum rate increase is 6%.
- Rental rate cannot be increased more than once every 12 months and applies to all tenants regardless of how long they have resided in the unit.
- Landlord can petition City for hearing examiner to review an increase rent above the maximum. Must provide documentation to justify request.
- Landlord must offer to renew rental housing agreement if tenant has resided in unit for more than 12 months plus one day.
- Evictions are prohibited without just cause once tenant has resided in rental unit for more than 12 month
Tenant Delay of Rent Payment - COVID-19
Tenant Protection and Relief Act Ordinance
See attachment for additional information.
- Website: https://www.cityofsacramento.org/Community-Development/Code-Compliance/Tenant-Protection-Program
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone(s): (916) 808-8121
- Hours: Monday through Friday 8 am - 5 pm
- Eligibility: Renters in the City of Sacramento ONLY. Does not include unincorporated Sacramento County.
- Requirements: Call for details.
- Sacramento Sacramento United States