Service Name: COVID-19 Rent Relief - Santa Cruz County
Organization Name: STATE OF CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
- Description: Provides rent payment assistance and utility payment assistance for both past due and some future payments. Assistance is for rent and utility payment accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Either the landlord or the tenant can apply for assistance.
Landlords are eligible to receive 80% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021 for eligible tenants, as long as they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent for the assistance period.
Eligible tenants whose landlords do not participate in the program can still receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021. Paying 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021 can help keep tenants in their homes under the extended eviction protections provided in SB91. Eligible tenants can also receive future rent assistance equal to 25% of their monthly rent through June 30, 2021.
Program also offers utility payment assistance for electricity, gas, water, and sewer. Eligible tenants may receive assistance for unpaid utilities and future payments. Unpaid utilities accumulated between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021, will be compensated at 100% of the cost, limited to a total of 12 months.
The COVID-19 Rent Relief program is funded by the federal Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021.
- Website: https://housing.ca.gov/covid_rr/index.html
- Phone(s): (831) 316-3222, (831) 740-2947, (831) 778-4535, (833) 687-0967
- Hours: Application available on the website 24/7Call Center hours: daily 7am-7pmCalifornia Rural Legal Assistance M-F 8:30am to 5pmCB La Manza Community Resources Mon-Fri 9:00am -4:30pmCB Live Oak Community Resources Mon-Thr 9:00am -5:00pm Close for lunch (12pm-1pm)CB Mountain Community Resources Mon - Thr 9:00am - 4:00pm 831-335-6600CB Nueva Vista Community Resources Mon - Fri 9:00am - 1:000pm, 2pm to 5:30pmCommunity Action Board Davenport BY APPT ONLYCommunity Action Board Santa Cruz BY APPT ONLY Community Action Board Watsonville M-F 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Families In Transition of SCC By APPT OnlyConflict Resolution Center of SCC Mon-Fri 8:30-4:00 (but flexible) 831-476-6117 (x405)
- Eligibility: Landlord assistance:
-The tenant's household income must be at or below 80 percent of the Area Median Income (AMI)
-All payments must be used to satisfy the tenant's unpaid rent for the period between April 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021
-The tenants must submit additional information to verify that they meet eligibility requirements below and must sign the application
Tenants can apply directly for assistance if their landlords choose not to participate in the COVID-19 Rent Relief.
Eligible tenants must have one or more individuals in the household who meet ALL of the following requirements:
1. Have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due to COVID-19
2. Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
-a past-due utility or rent notice or eviction notice
-unsafe or unhealthy living conditions
-any other evidence of such risk, as determined by the program
3. Have a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income (AMI). Priority given to those having income at or below 50% of Area Median Income (AMI).
- Requirements: Landlord applicants:-Property Deed(s)-Mortgage Note(s)-Property Tax Statement-Copy of Property Insurance Statement-Lease or rental agreement reflecting tenant's name, residence address, and monthly rent due.-And documents from eligible tenants listed below.Tenant applicants:Proof of loss of income due to COVID-19, which may include the following items.-A letter of termination from your job-Most recent pay stub with employer's information-Evidence that you have applied for unemployment benefits-Evidence that your unemployment benefits have expired, including unemployment benefits provided through the CARES Act-For those self-employed: tax records, income statements, or other evidence showing loss of income-Other items will be consideredAND one item from each of the following areas:-Verification of identity for all household members on rental agreement-Verification of income for all household members over age of 18-Verification of residence-Verification of rent owed-For utility assistance, verification of overdue utility billSee Tenant's Checklist online for list of options for each documentation area: https://housing.ca.gov/pdf/covid19/tenant_checklist.pdf
- Santa Cruz United States