Service Name: Social Security Administration
Organization Name: UNITED STATES SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION, SAN FRANCISCO REGION
- Description: Administers various benefits including:
- Retirement benefits
- Survivors benefits
- Disability Insurance
- Title II, XVI, and XVIII monies
- Supplemental Security Income
Social Security provides continuing income in the case of retirement, disability, or death. Income is distributed to workers and their families. Social Security benefits are based on the worker's wages and may be paid to the worker or the worker's dependents or survivors.
Medicare is federal health insurance program. Consists of two segements:
- Part A - hospital insurance which helps pay for inpatient hospital care and certain follow-up care after departure.
- Part B - medical insurance which helps pay for doctor's care and related services.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal financial assistance program. SSI pays people in financial need. SSI financing comes from general revenues, not Social Security taxes. SSI recipients automatically receive Medi-Cal but are ineligible for CalFresh.
- Website: https://www.ssa.gov
- Phone(s): 800-772-1213
- Hours: Phone hours: Monday-Friday 7am-7pm
- Eligibility: U.S. Citizens.
Medicare: individuals who are age 65 or older, or adults with disabilities.
SSI: low income individuals who are age 65 or older, or who are blind/disabled.
- United States